What separates us from the weasels?
I've been in Kigali for more than a week now and the News bulletin always amazes me. I'd noticed this before but it only really sunk in a few days ago. If you didn't know any better, you would think this is the most boring country on earth. Of course this can be a good thing because crime here is pretty low but still....
You see there is always only one thing on the news and that's another mind-numbingly dull conference on something or other. Seriously until you get to International news all you get are a group of serious looking people taking notes and staring pensively over their mineral water bottles. Caught in their more unguarded moments, they look pretty pissed off and as well they should be. The other day there was a big conference in which those involved came to the conclusion that they needed X amount of francs to combat poverty in a certain region of the country. Surely the money involved in setting up the conference- transportation, lodging, food, drinks, etc- would have been a pretty good start towards fighting poverty? In between the three news bulletins, we get riveting (cough cough) programmes chronicling the rise of pig feeding in the countryside or how sugar production has been tied into the nation's overall production goals. TV Rwanda is watchable during the day but virtually unbearable at night until they switch back to CNN at midnight.
Anyhow I've been thinking of Judas Iscariot lately thanks to a conversation I had with Raymond a few days ago. I was telling Ray about the discovery of the gospel of Judas a few months ago- a discovery which paints Judas in a much better light than the bible does. The newly-discovered gospels suggest that not only was Judas Jesus's favourite disciple privy to most of his secrets but that he actually betrayed Jesus on the explicit orders of Christ himself. Imagine trying to break that news to the rest of the disciples:
Judas: Now guys, don't freak out but Jesus has asked me to betray him. He will be whipped, tortured and crucified, but that's what he wants so don't stand in his way. I hope this doesn't change your opinion of me or affect our friendship in any way.
Disciples: Get him!
Nothing is making sense anymore. First we are being asked to reasses the commonly held image of Queen Cleopatra (turns out she was probably quite ugly) and now Judas just might have been the good guy? I guess Christianity might have turned out a bit differently if Jesus had died quietly of natural causes in his sleep.
Meanwhile here are excerpts of a conversation I heard on BBC's 'Focus on Africa' a few days ago. It stands as possibly the most disturbing radio moment of the year. The host of the show was grilling a man who run a nudist resort in South Africa that banned black people from entering.
Presenter: But isn't that racist?
Mad white man: No it's not- we just decided we don't want them here.
Presenter: Are you perhaps afraid of the size of their...
Mad white man: No, no no- thats just a stereotype! Black men do not have bigger penises than white men. That's a lie- I've seen many of them.
Presenter: But then why would you keep them out?
Mad white man: Because everytime they come here and see the white women they get errections! We cannot allow that, they are too indiscplined....
Random thoughts:
-Don't you need to have mental issues to even contemplate entering Big Brother Africa? Seriously what kind of thought process culminates in you sending off that form?
-There is a Radio station that baffles me. Late at night-if you tune in around midnight- all you hear is a woman quietly repeating in French "Mary, blessed are you among women and loved by God. Be with us in our moment of need..." and on and on in that vein before starting again. I'm going to call it Insomnia FM. Bonus points for blasphemy.
-Insensitive headline of the week from The New Times: KQ CRASH: NO RWANDANS ON BOARD. Well as long as there are no Rwandans on the plane I guess it's alright then eh?
-What kind of DJ plays Akon's song 'I wanna fuck you' at 7 in the evening?
-The Premiership has come to a close which is a real pity for those of us whose lives become a lot more interesting on Saturday afternoons. I wanted to write a roundup of the season but I got a bit lazy so I'll start it off by presenting my team of the season and follow it up in my next post:
Cech (Chelsea)
Carvalho (Chelsea)
Vidic (Man U)
Lescott (Everton)
Finnan (Liverpool)
Essien (Chelsea)
Fabregas (Arsenal)
Pedersen (Blackburn)
Ronaldo (Man U)
Drogba (Chelsea)
Berbatov (Tottenham)
Subs: Friedel (Blackburn) Agger (Liverpool) Chimbonda (Tottenham) Barry (Villa) Scholes (Man U) Arteta (Everton) Mccarthy (Blackburn)
You see there is always only one thing on the news and that's another mind-numbingly dull conference on something or other. Seriously until you get to International news all you get are a group of serious looking people taking notes and staring pensively over their mineral water bottles. Caught in their more unguarded moments, they look pretty pissed off and as well they should be. The other day there was a big conference in which those involved came to the conclusion that they needed X amount of francs to combat poverty in a certain region of the country. Surely the money involved in setting up the conference- transportation, lodging, food, drinks, etc- would have been a pretty good start towards fighting poverty? In between the three news bulletins, we get riveting (cough cough) programmes chronicling the rise of pig feeding in the countryside or how sugar production has been tied into the nation's overall production goals. TV Rwanda is watchable during the day but virtually unbearable at night until they switch back to CNN at midnight.
Anyhow I've been thinking of Judas Iscariot lately thanks to a conversation I had with Raymond a few days ago. I was telling Ray about the discovery of the gospel of Judas a few months ago- a discovery which paints Judas in a much better light than the bible does. The newly-discovered gospels suggest that not only was Judas Jesus's favourite disciple privy to most of his secrets but that he actually betrayed Jesus on the explicit orders of Christ himself. Imagine trying to break that news to the rest of the disciples:
Judas: Now guys, don't freak out but Jesus has asked me to betray him. He will be whipped, tortured and crucified, but that's what he wants so don't stand in his way. I hope this doesn't change your opinion of me or affect our friendship in any way.
Disciples: Get him!
Nothing is making sense anymore. First we are being asked to reasses the commonly held image of Queen Cleopatra (turns out she was probably quite ugly) and now Judas just might have been the good guy? I guess Christianity might have turned out a bit differently if Jesus had died quietly of natural causes in his sleep.
Meanwhile here are excerpts of a conversation I heard on BBC's 'Focus on Africa' a few days ago. It stands as possibly the most disturbing radio moment of the year. The host of the show was grilling a man who run a nudist resort in South Africa that banned black people from entering.
Presenter: But isn't that racist?
Mad white man: No it's not- we just decided we don't want them here.
Presenter: Are you perhaps afraid of the size of their...
Mad white man: No, no no- thats just a stereotype! Black men do not have bigger penises than white men. That's a lie- I've seen many of them.
Presenter: But then why would you keep them out?
Mad white man: Because everytime they come here and see the white women they get errections! We cannot allow that, they are too indiscplined....
Random thoughts:
-Don't you need to have mental issues to even contemplate entering Big Brother Africa? Seriously what kind of thought process culminates in you sending off that form?
-There is a Radio station that baffles me. Late at night-if you tune in around midnight- all you hear is a woman quietly repeating in French "Mary, blessed are you among women and loved by God. Be with us in our moment of need..." and on and on in that vein before starting again. I'm going to call it Insomnia FM. Bonus points for blasphemy.
-Insensitive headline of the week from The New Times: KQ CRASH: NO RWANDANS ON BOARD. Well as long as there are no Rwandans on the plane I guess it's alright then eh?
-What kind of DJ plays Akon's song 'I wanna fuck you' at 7 in the evening?
-The Premiership has come to a close which is a real pity for those of us whose lives become a lot more interesting on Saturday afternoons. I wanted to write a roundup of the season but I got a bit lazy so I'll start it off by presenting my team of the season and follow it up in my next post:
Cech (Chelsea)
Carvalho (Chelsea)
Vidic (Man U)
Lescott (Everton)
Finnan (Liverpool)
Essien (Chelsea)
Fabregas (Arsenal)
Pedersen (Blackburn)
Ronaldo (Man U)
Drogba (Chelsea)
Berbatov (Tottenham)
Subs: Friedel (Blackburn) Agger (Liverpool) Chimbonda (Tottenham) Barry (Villa) Scholes (Man U) Arteta (Everton) Mccarthy (Blackburn)

2 Comments:
It is the baboons that separate us!!
"The most boring country on earth"HAHAHA! Just as I had always assumed!!
What really killed me was "Now guys, don't freak out..." " Get him!" Minega you are NUTS!!! HAHAHAHAHHA!
I know violence is neither the way nor the answer, but I just got my machete and knuckle rings on e-bay cheap! Now lets go do those Nudist beach owners in and then see who is indisciplined!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home