Thursday, December 10, 2009

We haven't yet turned around

I've written extensively on this blog about my love for books. Recently I stumbled on a book I loved as a child and it got me wondering: What were some of the key highlights in my early years of reading? Im not referring to whole books here, but to certain scenes, passages or ideas in those books that had the greatest effect on me when I was growing up:

Oh Monkey! in Toby Tyler or ten days in the circus: This is one of the two books my mother got me for my tenth birthday (How well she knew me then) This was one of the first truly great books I read (A quick scan of IMDB confirms that it was actually turned into a film many years ago although it is clearly a little-known one) The book follows Toby Tyler who runs away from his supposedly domineering uncle and joins a circus where he has a coming-of-age experience and makes a few friends, one of whom turns out to be a monkey. He eventually decides to return home with his beloved monkey before it is mistakenly shot by a hunter. THe scene in question was so emotionally wrenching that I nearly wept just like poor Toby did. I can honestly say, odd as it seems, that the death of a monkey is one of the most moving things I've ever read. And I don't particularily like monkeys.

The death of Nancy in Oliver Twist: Unfortunately this list is turning into a death-a-thon, but it be what it be. I've always liked Charles Dickens and I had a few debates with my friend Joe about his worth as a writer (Joe believed he was rubbish, save for A tale of two cities) This book is one of his finest and it is no coincidence that it has been filmed dozens of times over the years (Including a misbegotten version by Disney called Oliver and Company) The book oozes menace and horror throughout, and everytime poor Oliver catches a lucky break, life is quick to give him a swift kick to the balls to cancel it out. As grim as this is, the death of his dear friend Nancy at the hands of the book's villain Bill Sykes was a truly shocking development for my young self. It was a tremendously upsetting event. The fact that the book I read illustrated her death vividly made it all the more powerful.

Ronia gets stuck in in Ronia the robber's daughter: I remember this quite vividly because this is the first book I remember trying to read when I was seven. It is still a book that is very dear to me because it triggered my love for books (Those with long memories will recall that I once wrote about rediscovering it at my University library a few years ago. I'm glad to say it still held up well) The book is about a girl whose father is the head of a group of bandits- all of whom are supposed to be sympathetic characters since there is no conventional'hero'. Strangely enough, it works. The book basically introduced me to moral ambiguity and to the idea of a well-rounded central character.


Alan loses his animals (and nearly loses his marbles)
in Alan and the animal kingdom: I read this so long ago, I don't even remember who wrote it and I'm too lazy to look it up (Hey, I don't get paid to write this blog) but it was a magical piece of literature. The eponymous hero was a teenage boy who hides the news of his guardian's death and lives alone to make sure he is not separated from his beloved pet collection. A bit like Noah of the bible except without the ark and the voice from God...actually not like Noah at all. Of course he eventually gets found out and the animals have to go. It is heartbreaking when he eventually gets found out.

Anarchy, love, sex and shotguns in The Monkey Wrench Gang (Edward Abbey): This was one of the first truly adult novels I read and it had everything. It was so enthralling that I read it again a few weeks later. The book is about a group of environmental anarchists who wreak bloodless havoc around the US and engage in plenty of other activities, none of which involve things like morality and celibacy. It had wicked and whip-smart humour, larger-than-life characters and freewheeling politics, not to mention . It made me think of a few things: Could a handful of people make a difference and was it just to start a revolution doing it? And if so, did said individuals have to keep their clothes on in the process? And WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT MAN AND THAT WOMAN DOING?

I will possess your heart in The Snow Queen (Hans Christian Andersen): This was the first truly terrifying book, even if it was only the abridged version for children. It was the first time I recall encountering pure, unblinking evil. A few years ago I watched a made-for-TV film of the story, with Bridget Fonda as the snow queen and I still find it tremendously unsettling. What really freaked me out as a kid was the story's idea of a magic mirror whose splinters could lead you to the dark side, as they do to the boy in the story, Kai. It is not easy to articulate that idea- you need to read the story to see what I'm saying. His previous encounter with the Snow Queen herself is equally scary. As far as fictional villains go, few can ever match her.

Come into my garden in The Secret Garden (Francis Hodgson Burnett): This is still one of my all-time favourite books- the last time I made a list, it came in at Number five and in retrospect it should have been even higher. The most affecting bit of the book is when Mary-the spoiled heroine-discovers the garden and is instantly transformed for the better. Her repeated returns increase the magic of the book, but it is that first encounter that truly bowled me over when I read the story in its entirety. The idea of nature as a sort of divine getaway to happiness was intriguing, as was the book's idea that people can not only change themlseves for the better, but change others too. This is a flat-out masterpiece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

computer consultant brisbane
computer consultant brisbane Counter