Monday, September 22, 2008

Sarah Palin: The halo effect

Now I know I should feel some sense of outrage about Sarah Palin. I know I should be boiling over her persistent lies ('Bridge to nowhere', earmarks, supposedly visiting Iraq)and I should be sneering at the Republicans hypocrisy in fielding such an inexperienced candidate having slammed Obama over and over for being....yes, an inexperienced candidate. One of my favourite bloggers recently compared the Mccain campaign to 'A blind man swinging a stick at a pinata' and I certainly cant find fault with that description.
However as a man, I have failed- and Im talking abject failure- to summon the necessary outrage with regard to this matter. Unfortunately in choosing a Running mate, Mccain pulled a fast one on us- he chose a good-looking woman. Men will go out of their way not to disagree with a hot woman because...well its a long story (See the footnotes below for a link to my in-depth paper 'Why hot women are always right and what this means for the price of tea in China')Jessica Alba could disprove gravity to me with the aid of only blunt crayons and a napkin and I'd believe her. Why the devil would she be wrong? That's just the way the world works.
Now when you have a hot politician telling you things that are blatantly untrue...well, you start to wonder how to shift your mental goalposts to accommodate this reality especially because this is something you could never be ready to deal with mentally. She cant be wrong can she? She's good-looking! This short-circuits your rationality and in effect your brain is sending you a message along the lines of 'The number you have dialled is not available at this time...'(Incidentally I read sometime ago that this phenomenon is called 'The halo effect'- projecting positive qualities onto people who are good-looking. Someone might suggest that this should be called the 'HELLOOO!' effect but I would not dare suggest something as carry-on as that)
And so I sit infront of my TV somewhat sheepishly and allow Palin to charm the hell out of me, socks and all. She shoots wild animals for fun and could probably beat me up, but I'm utterly charmed. She speaks almost entirely in cliches ('We are going to Washington to work for YOU the American people!')and yet I dont even contemplate reaching for the sick bucket. She lies and dodges shamalessly but I forgive her for it. How can I not? She's Sarah Palin! She's a moose-hunting, ass-kicking effortlessly charming hottie. I wish I could think rationally, but brother such a luxury is not needed at this crucial moment in our history. Let's just sit rapt infront of our TV sets and marvel. Please dont try to save me- its too late. Just save yourselves....

1 Comments:

Blogger Raymond said...

Jessica Alba, the crayons & napkin.....HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! You just totally kill me.
Did you watch the Daily Show, where Jon Stewart started off by saying, " Who cares that our economy is plunging into a recession and that some coast in Texas was hit by a hurricane? There is sunshine in my heart" then in the picture caption They show Palin and he tries to lick the picture! HHAHAHHAHAH

Just save yourselves HAHAHHAHAHAH
I am glad you are at Old Trafford, now we shall be expecting more blogposts!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

computer consultant brisbane
computer consultant brisbane Counter