Real men don't eat watermelon with their mouths wide open
Here is a conundrum- what happens if a whole group of people standing for President all claim to be the 'change' candidates?
Having kept an eye on the US Presidential Primaries-and giving myself a wedgie by sitting firmly on the fence- I've been slightly irritated by all the 'winds of change' sentiments. Hillary Clinton is the 'change' candidate, no wait Barack Obama is the REAL agent of change and bringing politics with 'a difference' but no, hang onto your shorts-Mick Huckabee is the man who will bring a change to the White House. Did I mention everyone else and their dog is going to be the 'change' candidate? There's so much 'change' in the air that it brings one inevitable result- change is now boring. If everyone is the 'change' candidate, its hardly going to be an inspiring slogan for anyone is it? And doesnt that make the status quo sound exciting just for being different?
To bring even more clarity into the proceedings, Hillary said the other day that she was 'The product of changes that have already occured" So will she continue these changes or bring completely different ones to the table? And if she reacts against the 'changes' that have shaped her, is she claiming those changes were wrong? And if they aren't, then why should she change things if the earlier changes have made her who she is today?
Please God- please make it stop. Make them all just go away.
***
What do the Kenyan riots and a report on Britain's obesity crisis have in common?
A few months ago a study in the UK backed by 'experts' concluded that- and I quote because I saved the document and re-read it in disbelief many, many times-'individuals can no longer be held responsible for obesity'. The Government had to act to prevent Britain 'sleepwalking into a crisis.'
Yes you read that right- obese people are not responsible for their condition. Turns out it's the Government's fault and only the Government can do something about it- what a twist! I dont think I saw it coming. Meanwhile the Government has pledged to draw up an 'anti obesity strategy'- you really couldn't make it up. I wonder what genius that strategy will contain? Could I be arrogant enough to sum it up in one sentence- STOP EATING SO MUCH JUNK FOOD, PEOPLE.
And as I bask in the glow of my brilliant solution to Britain's health crisis, I also stop to wonder about Kenya. As mobs go on the rampage and loot, rape and burn everything in their path, they can be safe that its not their fault. Oh no, its all the politicians fault- they made them do it.
That's the only conclusion I can draw from reading the letters and opinion pieces in The Daily Nation which has spent the entire period condemning the politicians for all the chaos and savagery. Funny, I dont think I've read anyone even condemning the sick people carrying out these attacks. The concept of personal responsibility here is completely absent just like the obesity report claiming people are not to blame for getting fat. It's all 'Mr Odinga only YOU can change this!' or 'Mr Kibaki, you will be held responsible for everything that happens.' In my ignorance, I had been unaware that a rigged election gives people the right to do whatever evil they want and then blame the injustice on the election. Truly bizzare.
***
I watched I am Legend last night and it was a bit disappointing. It was a decent film, but the whole thing just left me a bit cold I guess mainly because I'm a big fan of the book it is based on. (SPOILERS AHEAD- IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE FILM YOU MIGHT WANT TO STOP READING NOW)
Now I'm not trying to suggest that films based on books should always be adapted exactly the way they are, but the film turned out to be a lot less dark than the book and this is because of three main reasons. One- in the book, the circumstances of his wife's death are completely different- suffice to say she becomes one of the vampires later on. Secondly- in the book, they know where he lives and every night they come to his house and torment him (including his wife who is now one of the undead) This makes his predicament and the horror of the situation much more real and its a pity the film doesnt use this part of the book. In the film, they only discover his house after more than an hour.
And probably my most important gripe is with the ending of the film which I really hate. The book's ending was very dark and the main character dies in a completely different way but one thats central to why the book is called 'I am Legend'. To cut a long story short(ish), his hunting of vampires in the book leads to him unknowingly killing some who have been able to control the disease by taking some pills. Basically they aren't really the enemy. They eventually capture him and are ready to execute him before a sympathizer gives him some pills to take his own life. That's why the book is called 'I am Legend'- because he has become a legend to the vampires in the same way that vampires were a legend to humans before the global pandemic makes vampires reality. He is hated and feared by both groups- the vampires and the 'others'. In the film, they explain the title with a very annoying 'its all going to be alright' narration by one of the survivors at the end. I think its mainly the ending that really turned me off the film.
Having kept an eye on the US Presidential Primaries-and giving myself a wedgie by sitting firmly on the fence- I've been slightly irritated by all the 'winds of change' sentiments. Hillary Clinton is the 'change' candidate, no wait Barack Obama is the REAL agent of change and bringing politics with 'a difference' but no, hang onto your shorts-Mick Huckabee is the man who will bring a change to the White House. Did I mention everyone else and their dog is going to be the 'change' candidate? There's so much 'change' in the air that it brings one inevitable result- change is now boring. If everyone is the 'change' candidate, its hardly going to be an inspiring slogan for anyone is it? And doesnt that make the status quo sound exciting just for being different?
To bring even more clarity into the proceedings, Hillary said the other day that she was 'The product of changes that have already occured" So will she continue these changes or bring completely different ones to the table? And if she reacts against the 'changes' that have shaped her, is she claiming those changes were wrong? And if they aren't, then why should she change things if the earlier changes have made her who she is today?
Please God- please make it stop. Make them all just go away.
***
What do the Kenyan riots and a report on Britain's obesity crisis have in common?
A few months ago a study in the UK backed by 'experts' concluded that- and I quote because I saved the document and re-read it in disbelief many, many times-'individuals can no longer be held responsible for obesity'. The Government had to act to prevent Britain 'sleepwalking into a crisis.'
Yes you read that right- obese people are not responsible for their condition. Turns out it's the Government's fault and only the Government can do something about it- what a twist! I dont think I saw it coming. Meanwhile the Government has pledged to draw up an 'anti obesity strategy'- you really couldn't make it up. I wonder what genius that strategy will contain? Could I be arrogant enough to sum it up in one sentence- STOP EATING SO MUCH JUNK FOOD, PEOPLE.
And as I bask in the glow of my brilliant solution to Britain's health crisis, I also stop to wonder about Kenya. As mobs go on the rampage and loot, rape and burn everything in their path, they can be safe that its not their fault. Oh no, its all the politicians fault- they made them do it.
That's the only conclusion I can draw from reading the letters and opinion pieces in The Daily Nation which has spent the entire period condemning the politicians for all the chaos and savagery. Funny, I dont think I've read anyone even condemning the sick people carrying out these attacks. The concept of personal responsibility here is completely absent just like the obesity report claiming people are not to blame for getting fat. It's all 'Mr Odinga only YOU can change this!' or 'Mr Kibaki, you will be held responsible for everything that happens.' In my ignorance, I had been unaware that a rigged election gives people the right to do whatever evil they want and then blame the injustice on the election. Truly bizzare.
***
I watched I am Legend last night and it was a bit disappointing. It was a decent film, but the whole thing just left me a bit cold I guess mainly because I'm a big fan of the book it is based on. (SPOILERS AHEAD- IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE FILM YOU MIGHT WANT TO STOP READING NOW)
Now I'm not trying to suggest that films based on books should always be adapted exactly the way they are, but the film turned out to be a lot less dark than the book and this is because of three main reasons. One- in the book, the circumstances of his wife's death are completely different- suffice to say she becomes one of the vampires later on. Secondly- in the book, they know where he lives and every night they come to his house and torment him (including his wife who is now one of the undead) This makes his predicament and the horror of the situation much more real and its a pity the film doesnt use this part of the book. In the film, they only discover his house after more than an hour.
And probably my most important gripe is with the ending of the film which I really hate. The book's ending was very dark and the main character dies in a completely different way but one thats central to why the book is called 'I am Legend'. To cut a long story short(ish), his hunting of vampires in the book leads to him unknowingly killing some who have been able to control the disease by taking some pills. Basically they aren't really the enemy. They eventually capture him and are ready to execute him before a sympathizer gives him some pills to take his own life. That's why the book is called 'I am Legend'- because he has become a legend to the vampires in the same way that vampires were a legend to humans before the global pandemic makes vampires reality. He is hated and feared by both groups- the vampires and the 'others'. In the film, they explain the title with a very annoying 'its all going to be alright' narration by one of the survivors at the end. I think its mainly the ending that really turned me off the film.
1 Comments:
interesting read,I am a kenyan in britain.In this time and age,we individuals are not responsible for anything at all,its the government and the politicians ;)
kairitu
Post a Comment
<< Home