Wednesday, February 07, 2007

in a little while

Raymond-who is a legend- put a sitemeter for me on Friday. I had a look at it again today and I was stunned to realize that I've been getting about twenty hits a day. That's a hell of a lot more than I thought. I feel like someone who's been singing in the shower but then realizes that there are dozens of people listening in outside.
Anyway there is a banner in town and I've had plenty of time to study it everytime I get stuck in a traffic jam heading for work. This only happens when I go with a cab and it's absurd because there is another route on the right which is always virtually free of traffic and gets you to the center of town in roughly the same time. Still morning after morning I see people trapped in the long interminable line heading to town as my father and I drive peacefully the other way. One day they will all have a collective epiphany and sort themselves out. As things stand they are an eerie representation of zombie culture.
But that's another issue- I was talking about the banner which advertises a conference. It took place in December but the banner is still there. The subject of this conference was: YOU ARE THE FOUNTAIN OF THE UNIVERSE.
Wow- it's enough to give you a nice warm feeling inside! I thought I was just a regular guy struggling to adapt to post-uni life but what do you know- I'm the fountain of the universe! And considering how mind-bogglingly immense the universe is, that's something. Why didn't someone tell me this before? Last year TIME magazine also picked me as 'man of the year'. Granted, the award went to everyone else on the planet (yes nobody at TIME was smoking crack, no one at all) but that's just nitpicking. I do wonder what dazzling insights the conference imparted on people though. I wish I had been there.
Cedric left the other day which is a pity. He was the office funnyman and his banter with Alex was great (until Alex left in December) one by one all the 'characters' left and now a whole new batch of interns are here. Aside from Allinder and I, the office is now completely full of 'the new ones.'
Now I'm going to try and be diplomatic here, but let's just say the office now is so dull that there are convents which are more exciting than this room. There are no funny conversations, no banter-nada. This means I jump at any chance to flee the office and take a coffee/tea/chapati/chocolate/fresh air break. Sometimes I go and sit down alone because I can think better outside without having a voice screaming in my head THIS OFFICE IS DEPRESSING! GET OUT YOU BASTARD! Often I have a coffee with Nikki who is always good company and also one of the most joyful people I know and joy is infectious- it's like rabies, but much nicer. Recently I was going downstairs with her and I realized she wasn't really walking- she was kind of dancing and hopping at the same time with a happy smile on her face. For a brief moment I wondered if a musical was going to break out right there but the moment passed.
Anyway she was telling me about a new intern who just flew in from the States and doesnt quite know how to deal with the street kids. Everyone is telling her not to give them money because they'll only go spend it on getting high Indeed there is a sign inside the Tribunal to that effect- dont give streetkids money because they are going to waste it buying glue.
Now I may be in the minority on this, but if I knew a streetkid was going to buy glue with the money I give him, I'd still hand it over. If I was living on the street, I'd probably bond quite closely with glue fumes as well. Who are we to pass judgement on them? It's going to get them through the day and frankly they have every right not to want any prolonged exposure to reality. How are you going to attack the problem by witholding money from them?
And just look at all the 'moral' battles we are fighting. Recently there was a politician-Rwanda or Uganda? cant remember- who said one of the major causes of immorality were the women who wore mini skirts. According to said politician, we have to crack down on 'indecent' clothing to prevent the moral decay of our society. I don't subscribe to that theory. When I see young kids dying on the street because no one wants to help them- well for me that's the real immorality. The fact that people are dying all around us because they cant get a meal is the real scandal and it's amazing that we are picking stupid battles like miniskirts as a marker for moral decay. If wearing miniskirts is immoral, on what scale of immorality do you put a society that watches a woman and her child wither away and die on the street as hundreds of people walk by them every morning?

2 Comments:

Blogger Rama Isibo said...

sl2007.blogspot.com is the new home of superleague

9:44 AM  
Blogger Raymond said...

"YOU BASTARD!" HAhahah! I like the voices in your head! Maybe you should just give the streetkids glue and save them the huslte of having to go purchase it?! Don't listen to me,I don't

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

computer consultant brisbane
computer consultant brisbane Counter