Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Readers, she married him...

I was chatting with my cousin Tesi (an absolute legend) about two weeks ago. I was wondering idly how men propose these days- specifically Rwandan men seeing as I count myself in this category. Not that I'm going to propose anytime soon you understand, just the usual healthy curiousity as to how things work in our world.
Tesi's answer was hilarious but also fairly true "Oh, that's easy...the girl says 'honey I'm pregnant'"
Aaaaah romance- where did you go? Is it a coincidence that today people divorce when they are barely out of their wedding reception premises? Of course romance itself is such a fluid concept- how would you define it anyway? Once upon a time a guy had to put on his shinning (it HAD to be shinning) armour and ride through a thicket of thorns and ugly-ass beasts just to get to the girl. Today it's not quite romance unless she's pregnant and I can imagine one day a guy will go down on his knees and say "Look honey, I know you are not pregnant but I would like to marry you...". As things stand, the pregnancy thing still seems to be a requirement and a few days later she turns around, looks at him and realizes that Mr. Husband is actually a complete bastard. Said husband meanwhile has already enquired about the availability of cyanide pills. Not suprisingly they wind up enemies.
Speaking of enemies, here is a thing I don't understand- whats with the saying 'keep your friends close, but your enemies closer'? That's the kind of philosophy that will get you killed. I don't want my enemies- real or imagined- anywhere near me, I want them to be as far away as possible. I want my friends close and my enemies, far away.
"Ah, but you see there is some logic there" someone will say "You have to keep your enemies closer so you can keep an eye on them and know what they are trying to do" I know exactly what my enemy would be trying to do- screw me over. I don't need to keep an eye on him to know that. I know he's up to no good.

Random bits:
-Liverpool beating Chelsea at the weekend- the footballing equivalent of an orgasm. It is a well known fact that Satan himself (or 'Lucifer' as he prefers to be known these days) has shares in the club and it's entirely possible that large portions of the book of revelations are infact about Chelsea. The devil seems to be branching out quite a bit these days. As recently as ten years ago, people in Kampala stopped dancing the Macarena because apparently it was a form of devil worship-I still chuckle when I remember that. It seems he is getting a bit more subtle these days.
-Been watching Knowing me, knowing you...with Alan Patridge. Great stuff - Steve Coogan is a comic genius -and I laughed quite a lot. My dad didn't really get it. About halfway through, he turns to me and says "Oh, so he's not a REAL chatshow host then?" Highly recommend 24 hour party people with Coogan in the starring role about the Manchester music scene in the 70's.
-Watched King Kong on Friday. I'm a Peter Jackson fan, but I thought it was just an Okay film.If I want to see an ugly gorilla leering at a pretty lady I'll just watch the latest 50 cent video.

4 Comments:

Blogger Iwaya said...

the bit about "honey, i know you're not pregnant..." totally off the wall funny!

9:24 AM  
Blogger nic said...

lol what a Tesi like answer,but she's true!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Raymond said...

Tesi for governor! That pregnancy thing was funny!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Minzo said...

ella you are back! Yambi! why aren't you blogging again?

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

computer consultant brisbane
computer consultant brisbane Counter