Monday, January 29, 2007

Heart is the bridge

I was having coffee this morning with Nikki who has become my new 'coffee buddy' after the departure of Hannah and following a unanimous vote conducted by the voices in my head. I noticed something a bit odd with my environment and it took me a few seconds to realize what it was- the low wall behind us had been painted black including the famous spot I mentioned in another somewhat incoherent post a few months ago.
They have been repainting the tribunal for the last two weeks giving it a nice new coat of painfully white paint. Aside from the stench of paint and the somewhat scary sight of seeing men stand casually on the ledge of the seventh floor(right outside the window of our office) I'm all in support of this move. However here is the thing- this area with black paint was white on Friday. Yes only a few days ago the ledge behind us had a new white coat of paint. This morning they painted over that and decided they prefered black. Why didn't they just do that from the beginning?
And now it just looks weird- this island of black paint in a sea of gleaming white. Is it some kind of ebony-and-ivory thing they have going on? Perhaps the new black and white paint strategy is a kind of symbolism of racial harmony? Meanwhile the little manhole thingy I used to drink coffee on is seeing more coats of paint than a prostitute's fingernails. I don't know when it will be dry so I can finally sit on it and be the king of all I survey-albeit a king who is working for free and has the noticable handicap of having no subjects.
Anyway we were talking about post-uni life and the uncertainty that follows the bliss of graduation. Nikki's illustration was interesting "I came out of university ready to take on the world and I couldn't see it. I was like 'where is the world? where is it hiding? How exactly do I get hold of it'"
Quite.

Ok, let me try to explain. "It's like jumping off a cliff" No, wait there's a problem with that "Ok, like jumping off a cliff except that you don't die but hit the water below...erm...yeah...and assuming you can swim of course"
I could probably come up with a better definition if I had thought this through, but it will have to do. You are dealing with something that defies easy categorisation and a neat little explanation. It's poker and it's bungee jumping and it's roulette all rolled into one. It's a tidal wave. It's a sort of benevolent black hole.

F.A Cup was on this weekend- unfortunately Arsenal lived to fight another day. My friends are aware that the two teams I hate most are Arsenal and Chelsea and while the Gunners don't quite qualify as the anti-Christ- that position is taken by Chelsea- I was passionately hoping they would self-destruct. Then KoloToure grabbed an equalizer and now they have to go to the reebok where I fancy Bolton to open up a can of whupass and serve it to them. I like Bolton- there is something so old-fashioned about their direct and sometimes quite rough style of play. Meanwhile Chelsea cruised past Nottingham Forest which was not a suprise-except that Shevchenko scored a goal. That's three goals in two games! If only he faced such timid opposition every week. Meanwhile Tottenham beat Southend- a team I have a fondness for mainly because it was the hometown of a girl I had a minor crush on in my final year at uni but that's another long story and these days I like them on my own terms. It's a bit crap that the two teams I like outside the Premiership-Leeds and Southend- are second from bottom and bottom respectively.
And meanwhile Liverpool isn't even in the bloody thing. I sat there seething in my chair at the injustice of it all.

Reading: Emergency Sex and other desperate measures by three former UN peacekeepers who have been to just about all the warzones you can care to name (When my dad saw the book I told him it was about the history of the porn industry and he believed me. Parents can be so gullible) It's a fantastic book and I strongly recommend it but it is also very grim. I'm sure many people don't want to spend a weekend reading about Somalia, Haiti, Rwanda and Cambodia during their tragic periods (although with Somalia of course there is no let up) but this is still worth reading. I just finished Crow road by Iain Banks (who wrote a very disturbing book called The Wasp Factory) which was also quite interesting and had some unforgettable lines like "She put the phany in epiphany, the lectual in intellectual and the ibid in libidinous"

Watching: Figure skating. I like! I enjoy the clash between the old-fashioned aspect of it-the music and the almost ballroom-dancing elements of it- combined with the 'MTV generation' angle- the skimpy outfits and the slow motion replays. It's the old world meet the new world. It's almost romantic. It feels weird when I have to change to the animal planet right afterwards. The polar bears are also skating on ice, but not with the same grace and photogenic nature.

4 Comments:

Blogger Raymond said...

Loved the post-uni description, though it kind of freaked me out. Well, I can swim and if Irecall correctly, you can't! Die vermin, die!

4:32 AM  
Blogger No One said...

A man after my own heart... You are strange indeed! From figure skating to the great outdoors, i too am held captive by a world of seeming contradictions.

1:33 PM  
Blogger No One said...

What happened to Rama's blog?

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmm considering my self exile...reading has become my solace once more.....will def check out.....Balsera

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

computer consultant brisbane
computer consultant brisbane Counter