The Thursday evening random post
Kigali.
As recently as three years ago, Kigali was like a teenage boy's room. Messy, chaotic and falling apart. Nothing really seemed to work and much of the city was an eyesore. The turnaround that has happened since then is truly astonishing. The city is sparkling clean, the roads are fantastic and the rate of construction is amazing. You cant even pee on the street anymore without a copper getting all up in your business and that can only be a good thing.
Recently we have had another innovation- garbage cans! On the street! Who would have thought it?
"They are a bit high though" My sister Teta says " How is a child or a midget supposed to throw away their rubbish"
Yes Kigali city council- is anybody thinking of the midgets?
The other day I noticed that a roadsign had been defaced. It was one of those blue signs with a guy gingerly walking on a zebra crossing. Someone had grabbed a blue crayon and firmly scrubbed out the man's face. Is there someone in Kigali walking around with a blue crayon in his pocket attacking road signs? Considering the fact that this sign was right in the center of town, it must have taken balls of steel to deface it. If you want to do this, surely you can make it witty? I remember waking down a street near my old university in Reading and noticing that someone had attacked one of those red 'stop' signs. Using a black marker someone had scrawled 'stop' at the top and at the bottom of the sign was the punchline 'hammertime!' I thought that was funny, but maybe that's just me.
And closer to home, I watched my nutty cousin Tesi-ably assisted by my sisters- do something similar to the board outside the MTN center. The board listed all the offices in the building, but it had small movable white letters so you could easily rearrange the letters. This is exactly what they did so anyone consulting the board will be somewhat baffled to discover that somewhere in the MTN building, there is a shop called WHORES.
The other night I had the weirdest and funniest dream I've had in ages. I had been out drinking with the ugly monkeys (we really need a name change) so perhaps the beer played a role.
In my dream, I was trapped in a cartoon world in a party populated exclusively by ducks. I was in a corner of the room with two ducks who were chatting with each other and ignoring me. And that's when I said it:
"You know what?" I told my new friends "I just realized something. I'm a duck"
They turned around and gave me possibly the oddest looks I have ever received in a dream, and that's when I woke up. I was laughing to myself all morning thinking about that line. Maybe I should ask more questions about my childhood....
It's that time of the year again when every critic is making 'best of the year' lists for everything including ways to make pasta and best ways to kill a mutant mosquito. My list is a little more orthodox. For me, these were the best songs released this year (in no particular order)
1. Starlight: Muse
2.Pranging out: The Streets
3.Save room: John Legend
4.Valerie: The Zutons
5.Sista big bones: Anthony Hamilton
6.Harrowdown hill: Thom Yorke
7. Talk to me/my love: Justin Timberlake
8.Smile: Lilly Allen
9. City of blinding lights: U2
10. Like a star: Corinne Bailey Rae
As recently as three years ago, Kigali was like a teenage boy's room. Messy, chaotic and falling apart. Nothing really seemed to work and much of the city was an eyesore. The turnaround that has happened since then is truly astonishing. The city is sparkling clean, the roads are fantastic and the rate of construction is amazing. You cant even pee on the street anymore without a copper getting all up in your business and that can only be a good thing.
Recently we have had another innovation- garbage cans! On the street! Who would have thought it?
"They are a bit high though" My sister Teta says " How is a child or a midget supposed to throw away their rubbish"
Yes Kigali city council- is anybody thinking of the midgets?
The other day I noticed that a roadsign had been defaced. It was one of those blue signs with a guy gingerly walking on a zebra crossing. Someone had grabbed a blue crayon and firmly scrubbed out the man's face. Is there someone in Kigali walking around with a blue crayon in his pocket attacking road signs? Considering the fact that this sign was right in the center of town, it must have taken balls of steel to deface it. If you want to do this, surely you can make it witty? I remember waking down a street near my old university in Reading and noticing that someone had attacked one of those red 'stop' signs. Using a black marker someone had scrawled 'stop' at the top and at the bottom of the sign was the punchline 'hammertime!' I thought that was funny, but maybe that's just me.
And closer to home, I watched my nutty cousin Tesi-ably assisted by my sisters- do something similar to the board outside the MTN center. The board listed all the offices in the building, but it had small movable white letters so you could easily rearrange the letters. This is exactly what they did so anyone consulting the board will be somewhat baffled to discover that somewhere in the MTN building, there is a shop called WHORES.
The other night I had the weirdest and funniest dream I've had in ages. I had been out drinking with the ugly monkeys (we really need a name change) so perhaps the beer played a role.
In my dream, I was trapped in a cartoon world in a party populated exclusively by ducks. I was in a corner of the room with two ducks who were chatting with each other and ignoring me. And that's when I said it:
"You know what?" I told my new friends "I just realized something. I'm a duck"
They turned around and gave me possibly the oddest looks I have ever received in a dream, and that's when I woke up. I was laughing to myself all morning thinking about that line. Maybe I should ask more questions about my childhood....
It's that time of the year again when every critic is making 'best of the year' lists for everything including ways to make pasta and best ways to kill a mutant mosquito. My list is a little more orthodox. For me, these were the best songs released this year (in no particular order)
1. Starlight: Muse
2.Pranging out: The Streets
3.Save room: John Legend
4.Valerie: The Zutons
5.Sista big bones: Anthony Hamilton
6.Harrowdown hill: Thom Yorke
7. Talk to me/my love: Justin Timberlake
8.Smile: Lilly Allen
9. City of blinding lights: U2
10. Like a star: Corinne Bailey Rae
3 Comments:
Stopping by is one my high points of the week! I was about to leave a hate message coz you'd taken eons to post.Really man, this is the kick-ass-erest blog!! You can and have had posts where you can make eating a digestive biscuit read like a John Grisham, only that the biscuit always loses to you. Hats off punk, for never losing pizzazz!!
About Kigali getting it's pimp on , you still know Kampala is Kicking your butt MAJORLY!! Laura even defected!!
I seriously cracked up about your dream!! "I just realized something. I'm a duck" I always suspected it it though! And "Stop...Hammmer time" It wasn't just you, it was hilarious and I only had my imagination working,I can only imagine the impact on really seeing it!! Hombre Merry Christmas, you owe me an e-mail update on.... you know what!!
Merry xmas & a happy newyear
Was it really like this?
[b][url="http://hydrocodone.dewall.info "]buy hydrocodone online[/url][/b]
Post a Comment
<< Home