Monday, December 11, 2006

Be a world child, form a circle: part 2

My internship is officially supposed to end on December 22nd, but I will be in Kigali this Thursday so in reality I am only here for the next few days and blogging will probably be light from here on(I'm still not even sure why I keep blogging, I just can't bloody stop). I just found out that I received an extension to my internship but because most of these people will be gone soon, this is a sort of rambling ''end of phase one''report. Although no one I work with reads this blog (except Eve who left recently) I'm going to give a shout-out to the people who made my internship ...whats the word I'm looking for....success? no. Fun? no, not quite. Let's use the word interesting. Yes, several people conspired to make my internship an interesting one. Because I kept the anti-social nature of my uni years, I only got to know a small fraction of the interns. Interestingly when I noted to Hannah and Anne-Cecile (at separate times) that I wasnt particularily sociable, they both gave answers so similar they were almost identical word-for-word. "Yes I noticed, you are more of a one-on-one kind of guy" I am not entirely sure that's a compliment.
Hannah: For all those coffee breaks, Hannah deserves a special prize.. She is one of those people who comes across as completely genuine and was always excellent company even when grumpy. Gets bonus points for sharing my birthday (December 28th- holy Christ I'm turning 24 in 2 weeks...) She once teased me for being 'too serious' but I suspect she would revise that opinion if she came across this blog. I'll really miss her.
Cedric and Alex: These two have to go together because their banter really lit up the office. Cedric played the stereotypical French role while Alex did the whole I'm-English-and-proud thing. It all made for great entertainment. Alex also turned sarcasm into his main form of communication. You could be pretty sure that when he walked into the room loudly yelling "happy days!" he didn't really mean it. Other gems were sentences like "Dammn, it's all happening in here isn't it?" Cedric also gets bonus points for telling the funniest gay joke of the year and for discovering the coffee spot that made coffee breaks much better for me.
Anne: As the case manager, Anne was my boss but you wouldn't know it from the way she treated Anne-Cecile and I-more like equals than interns to take advantage of. She was very friendly and kind and during court she was more likely to be passing notes saying how bored she was with the whole thing and wondering if the defence lawyer was wearing a wig. She was also always apologetic when she gave us crap jobs to do like photocopying and occasionally bought us lunch to compensate. A pretty cool boss when all is said and done.
Anne-Cecile: She was my team-mate for the duration of the internship and we went through all the photocopying and boring court sessions together not to mention the frustration the job entailed. She also put up with all the teasing I gave her about coming from Swirtzeland- that heaven on earth where a train running late would cause a national scandal and parliament inquiry and a country where you can't even install a communal swimming pool without a vote.
Nikki: For making me laugh- Jesus, she has really made me laugh- and for always being splendid company. Basically for just being delightful and utterly unique.
Josh: For giving the office the only oportunity to drink champagne in the afternoon (following the birth of his nephew) and for selected witty comments from his corner of the room.
Eve: Eve also wins props for making me laugh, altough often the comments were not intended for me or anyone else but was part of an amusing running monologue that usually lasted all day. She also had an almost sixth sense of what I would find funny when recommending an article from the net usually stuff that wasn't necessarily funny on the surface like Mexico having two presidents.
As for all the other interns- I had the vague feeling you were there, but we never met so what can I say? To paraphrase Vinnie Jones, It's not been emotional. However best of luck with your lives wherever the fickle winds of destiny will take you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Iwaya said...

i did not comment on the death of your granny below because i was and am still under the weather. but also because as i grow older i find that i can't find anymore the consoling words of grief. so i maintain my silence. it's not because i'm not moved, i'm just paying my respects.

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

computer consultant brisbane
computer consultant brisbane Counter