Thursday, November 16, 2006

Saving fish from drowning

A friend who I hadn't heard from in a while recently emailed me. He presented a version of my internship which although too crude to be presented here basically painted it as a James Bond gig where I dispensed justice single-handedly while lounged around deep blue pools getting off with beautiful women. Sadly this is not the case. This Tribunal can be a frustrating place to work-infact, most of the interns in my office spend at least half the day complaining and believe me the list of complaints is long. Few of us get any proper legal work to do and most of the work is fairly secretarial. If you are fond of photocopiers and putting together huge files in binders then this is your cup of tea. Sometimes it feels as if it is slowly sucking the life out of you. Some interns came here so cheerful and jolly and now they look drained. No wonder there is a two hour lunch break and two unofficial coffee breaks. Josh has talked often about jumping out of the window (we are on the seventh floor) but I think he is scared he will survive the fall and look silly afterwards.
Two months here and we are virtually the walking dead already. Maybe George Romero could do a movie on our time here- The zombie interns. Cedric the cantankerous Frenchman is in Kigali at the moment which means the office is a whole lot quieter. Occasionally someone will stand up and launch a passionate plea for the greater availability of staplers but on the whole, the office is a much quieter place than when we started out. Reality- what a biatch.
Many of the interns try to cope with this by engaging in all manner of social events most of which necessarily involve the calming presence of alcohol. However I'm still on detox until further notice and I've lost the desire to go out and do sociable things( although some of my smart-ass friends might argue that I never had that desire anyway) I'm embarassed to note that since I came here I have only been to three parties and not once have I gone to club or indeed been drunk. As I was wondering aloud to Hannah the other day, am I already getting old? I did have a beer this afternoon right after lunch with Josh and Alex just because we could. I could not remember the last time I'd had any alcohol at two in the afternoon.
Meanwhile congratulations to Nikki the South African intern who got accepted to Oxford for a post-graduate degree. It couldn't happen to a nicer person- she is utterly delightful.

This weeks' challenge: Following on from my previous post about the underuse of the word 'marinate', I have decided to take drastic action. Since such a delightful word cannot be held prisoner by devious chefs all over the land, let's give it a push in its bid for freedom. Let's get it into conversations and blogs . Mind you it doesn't have to be used accurately-I'm not even sure I know what it means- but it should be out there anyway. Come on people, sneak it in somewhere and get it in often.

-What on earth is happening to Liverpool?

Song of the day: Doo wop(that thing)Lauryn Hill-I was listening to the Fugees last night and I was wondering what happened to Lauryn Hill. Last I heard she had got back together with the rest of the Fugees and was on tour, but she's been quiet anyway. Hill was a woman of such awesome, unquestionable talent that she understandably went a bit mental. Nobody could blame her. It's like when Vincent Van Gogh figured he could do with just one ear. People were like 'fair enough- you are a bloody genius who are we to tell you that two ears are better than one?' I don't know if she rediscovered her marbles but I hope she releases another solo album soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Raymond said...

My first internship,I was faxing , photocopying, filing and flossing the supervisors teeth!! Atleast you don't have to do that!
I don't think any word has been over misused like "mélange"!! I would kick "marinate" in the nuts any day!!
Punk you should get online more often during your 4 unofficial coffee breaks,it's been a while! Did you know that one of your sisters (not sure which) now looks like Janet Museveni ?!!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Saadiq said...

have you ever been to a construction site?have u ever used the toilet after the typical british builder..im talking about the cigarette smoking,coffee drinking,crack butt showing,expletive using Bob?do u know why builders light up cigarettes whilst using the john?..simple..so they dont marinate in that stench from the overstayed,portable davlavs which are 8 months past the last service date!!..seriously i dont smoke..i just light up tobacco

11:39 AM  
Blogger Iwaya said...

I'm sorry, but i'm dying from laughing here! shdn't i be sorry for your slow internship?

3:36 AM  
Blogger Iwaya said...

I'm sorry, but i'm dying from laughing here! shdn't i be sorry for your slow internship?

4:07 AM  
Blogger jovialjitterz said...

I want your job!!! But, i guess i would never be able to write about it this well and I definitely would be missing out on the things you write, do you ever re-read your posts? You are currently one of the funniest people I know, never mind what those lawyers were on about... somehow you made it SO much funnier!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

computer consultant brisbane
computer consultant brisbane Counter