"Words, they mean nothing..."
The sign said 'Assumption school' but that wasn't what caught my attention. I was much more interested in its intriguing motto. As we zoomed past, I had to turn my head to make sure I had read correctly.
The school's motto was 'The higher we climb'.
Interesting. Perhaps the sentiment embodied in that motto was so powerful that the owners of the school did not even need to complete the sentence. Still, it was a real cliffhanger. What exactly happened as they climbed higher? Was it a profound philosophical statement that puzzled passers-by were required to think about once they passed by the sign?
It reminded me of something I saw in a parking lot in Kampala although this one could not possibly have had any philosophical pretentions. It was on the side of a small van and it said THE LORD IS MY SHEPERD, I SHALL NOT WANT FOR NO NOTHING. How I laughed(I wanted to take a picture of it but Ezra warned me that he might not have my back when the owner discovered me doing so)
Arusha can be an interesting place and I often amuse myself by spotting things like this. For example there is a bus I see regularily in town with LISA LOOPS written at the back. It is sweet of them to remember Lisa 'left eye' (RIP) but surely in honouring her memory, they could have taken the effort to spell her name correctly?
In somewhat unrelated news, you are unlikely to be bored if you keep up with news from Nigeria because now and again a gem of a story comes to you. One such story came my way last week. Apparently the Nigerian government provides 'corruption free certificates' to politicians and leading officials so of course these are much sought after. Some find these a bit hard to come by so apparently a few officials managed to get their hands on black market certificiates- yes, it turns out you can actually buy a certificate telling everyone you are corruption-free probably from some hooded guy in a dark alley after midnight. Not suprisingly however, these guys had been scammed- the certificates were fake. Life is so often stranger than fiction...
And while we are still on the subject of Nigeria, I was wandering through a DVD rental store in Kigali and came across the Nigerian film section. One title caught my eye- or to be precise two titles. There was a film called 'Emergency wedding 1' and next to it was its sequel 'emergency wedding 2'. My curiousity was aroused- what exactly is an emergency wedding? And if it went so badly the first time, what cinematic genius is contained in its sequel? Surely they would have learned their lesson from the first emergency wedding?
Sometimes I watch the Nigerian films on the Africamagic channel (and although I am about to diss them, I do admire the fact they are putting these films out and actually trying). I can usually only watch them in bits and pieces so as not to fry my brain, but they can be unintentionally funny. On Saturday I wandered in while my mum was watching a thriller. There was an evil looking man pointing a gun at another guy in a toilet and the other guy was begging for his life. The gunman ignored him and shot him dead. Then he threw back his head and gave the worst evil laugh I have ever heard. He looked down at the dead man and then did the same laugh again. It was not the greatest moment in Nigerian cinema.
The school's motto was 'The higher we climb'.
Interesting. Perhaps the sentiment embodied in that motto was so powerful that the owners of the school did not even need to complete the sentence. Still, it was a real cliffhanger. What exactly happened as they climbed higher? Was it a profound philosophical statement that puzzled passers-by were required to think about once they passed by the sign?
It reminded me of something I saw in a parking lot in Kampala although this one could not possibly have had any philosophical pretentions. It was on the side of a small van and it said THE LORD IS MY SHEPERD, I SHALL NOT WANT FOR NO NOTHING. How I laughed(I wanted to take a picture of it but Ezra warned me that he might not have my back when the owner discovered me doing so)
Arusha can be an interesting place and I often amuse myself by spotting things like this. For example there is a bus I see regularily in town with LISA LOOPS written at the back. It is sweet of them to remember Lisa 'left eye' (RIP) but surely in honouring her memory, they could have taken the effort to spell her name correctly?
In somewhat unrelated news, you are unlikely to be bored if you keep up with news from Nigeria because now and again a gem of a story comes to you. One such story came my way last week. Apparently the Nigerian government provides 'corruption free certificates' to politicians and leading officials so of course these are much sought after. Some find these a bit hard to come by so apparently a few officials managed to get their hands on black market certificiates- yes, it turns out you can actually buy a certificate telling everyone you are corruption-free probably from some hooded guy in a dark alley after midnight. Not suprisingly however, these guys had been scammed- the certificates were fake. Life is so often stranger than fiction...
And while we are still on the subject of Nigeria, I was wandering through a DVD rental store in Kigali and came across the Nigerian film section. One title caught my eye- or to be precise two titles. There was a film called 'Emergency wedding 1' and next to it was its sequel 'emergency wedding 2'. My curiousity was aroused- what exactly is an emergency wedding? And if it went so badly the first time, what cinematic genius is contained in its sequel? Surely they would have learned their lesson from the first emergency wedding?
Sometimes I watch the Nigerian films on the Africamagic channel (and although I am about to diss them, I do admire the fact they are putting these films out and actually trying). I can usually only watch them in bits and pieces so as not to fry my brain, but they can be unintentionally funny. On Saturday I wandered in while my mum was watching a thriller. There was an evil looking man pointing a gun at another guy in a toilet and the other guy was begging for his life. The gunman ignored him and shot him dead. Then he threw back his head and gave the worst evil laugh I have ever heard. He looked down at the dead man and then did the same laugh again. It was not the greatest moment in Nigerian cinema.
7 Comments:
been goin thru all yo post...nice stuff.
Just sayin!
been at minzoforever.blogspot.com and read thru everything
nice stuff u there too!
Qn. why did u change the blogs?
Just askin!
hey Cherie,
Thanks for the comments. The minzoforever blog contained two years worth of posts so I thought it was better to move to a new site. Plus, it was only supposed to document my time in England so having left her majesty's kingdom, a new blog is in order.
Freaking killed me at the Evil laughter,Nigerian movies are just the crapiest thing, after anchovies in vinegar ofcourse(tried that last weekend,morbid stuff!)
You know I still think you have the best blog,period.how is the script going by the way, falling angels, you should e-mail it to me,don't forget punk!
Hey what's Ramas blog?I lost the link that was on my last computer
do you also listen for quirks of speech in the way people you know talk? really, i wanna know coz well, who knows....
This comment has been removed by the author.
"The school's motto was 'The higher we climb'.
Interesting. Perhaps the sentiment embodied in that motto was so powerful that the owners of the school did not even need to complete the sentence. Still, it was a real cliffhanger. What exactly happened as they climbed higher?"
Now that CRACKED me up...lol..i LOVE this blog....
Post a Comment
<< Home