Donuts, Paris Hilton, white uniforms and monkey vs monkey
About two weeks ago, I went to the Tribunal bakery downstairs to grab a bite to eat. Looking through the window I saw a familiar sight and the sign confirmed what I thought- donuts. mmm..donuts. Long time no see.
Anyway I bought one and went upstairs to eat it. As soon as I bit into it, I realized my mistake. Yes, this thing was being described as a donut, but believe me it was not a donut. My mistake was to think I was buying a proper donut, but I should have known better. It was just a tasteless thing of some kind. Talk about an anti-climax- I was slightly moodier for the rest of the day. So near and yet so far. I had stood on the edge and stared into the dark, hellish abyss that was a hoax donut. I did not like what I saw.
Which brings me to another scary event which happened to me recently. Two days ago I was watching a film late into the night (Straw dogs with Dustin Hoffman- bloody good, but that's the subject of another post) and midway through I did some quick idle channel surfing. In the course of this action, I stumbled onto MTV where an intriguing and catchy pop song was playing. I liked it instantly and hang around watching. Then a few seconds later I realized with horror who the singer was. It was Paris Hilton. I had just appreciated something Paris Hilton had done.
The implications of this were so staggering that I flicked back to my film with my mind numb. Where was I going to go from here? Paris Hilton! And yet try as I might, I could not deny that the song was really quite good for a pop song.. For a few seconds at least we had been on the same wavelength and that was a scary thing to ponder. How could this possibly have happened? An inquest is already underway.
And Paris Hilton releasing a good single is not the only thing that defies logic. Here in Arusha, I have always been intrigued by the fact that traffic policemen wear white uniforms and I mean all-white. What is the point? They'll be brown in a matter of minutes. This is Africa- a tornado of dust is never more than a few seconds away. Standing in the middle of traffic wearing an all-white outfit makes no sense at all.
Infact it makes as little sense as what is happening in New Delhi right now. Delhi has a major monkey problem but because they are considered sacred, no one is going to grab a gun and shoot them. The result is that the monkeys are free to roam with impunity and just do their thing. Monkeys have even broken into the Ministry of defence and ripped up confidential documents- I'm not making this up. Anyway some companies have decided to stop monkeying around and have developed a solution- bring in bigger monkeys. The langur monkey is apparently one bad-ass monkey scary to other monkeys and humans alike so they are now being deployed to sit infront of buildings to scare off any monkey intruders. Yes, fight monkeys with more monkeys. What could possibly go wrong?
Anyway I bought one and went upstairs to eat it. As soon as I bit into it, I realized my mistake. Yes, this thing was being described as a donut, but believe me it was not a donut. My mistake was to think I was buying a proper donut, but I should have known better. It was just a tasteless thing of some kind. Talk about an anti-climax- I was slightly moodier for the rest of the day. So near and yet so far. I had stood on the edge and stared into the dark, hellish abyss that was a hoax donut. I did not like what I saw.
Which brings me to another scary event which happened to me recently. Two days ago I was watching a film late into the night (Straw dogs with Dustin Hoffman- bloody good, but that's the subject of another post) and midway through I did some quick idle channel surfing. In the course of this action, I stumbled onto MTV where an intriguing and catchy pop song was playing. I liked it instantly and hang around watching. Then a few seconds later I realized with horror who the singer was. It was Paris Hilton. I had just appreciated something Paris Hilton had done.
The implications of this were so staggering that I flicked back to my film with my mind numb. Where was I going to go from here? Paris Hilton! And yet try as I might, I could not deny that the song was really quite good for a pop song.. For a few seconds at least we had been on the same wavelength and that was a scary thing to ponder. How could this possibly have happened? An inquest is already underway.
And Paris Hilton releasing a good single is not the only thing that defies logic. Here in Arusha, I have always been intrigued by the fact that traffic policemen wear white uniforms and I mean all-white. What is the point? They'll be brown in a matter of minutes. This is Africa- a tornado of dust is never more than a few seconds away. Standing in the middle of traffic wearing an all-white outfit makes no sense at all.
Infact it makes as little sense as what is happening in New Delhi right now. Delhi has a major monkey problem but because they are considered sacred, no one is going to grab a gun and shoot them. The result is that the monkeys are free to roam with impunity and just do their thing. Monkeys have even broken into the Ministry of defence and ripped up confidential documents- I'm not making this up. Anyway some companies have decided to stop monkeying around and have developed a solution- bring in bigger monkeys. The langur monkey is apparently one bad-ass monkey scary to other monkeys and humans alike so they are now being deployed to sit infront of buildings to scare off any monkey intruders. Yes, fight monkeys with more monkeys. What could possibly go wrong?
4 Comments:
minega, this really cracked me up, the part about the monkeys just came back and still laughed like crazy, you know you have the kick ass-erest posts? right?later hombre
dont u miss krispy kremes?forget paris hilton,have u heard that new single by lily allen?
If Paris hilton can sing that good, so can yours truly...
But we all know she needs $2m worth of studio equipment to have a hit! With all that, so can anybody!
Nice post, Minega.
Real funny!! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Paris can't sing, even tho I did kinda like her song when I heard it on the RADIO, I almost chocked once I realised it was HER ofcourse but like Cherie said, it's all that equipment n voice lessons, hatin, :) Great blog!
Post a Comment
<< Home