30 greatest books ever written
I wrote a '20 greatest books ever written' article for the paper a few days ago so I thought I'd reproduce it here but instead make it 30 seeing as there were so many good books I couldnt put in the top 20. Of course I dont need to add that this is my personal opinion so as always with these kinds of things, we are not going to agree. Here are my top 30 in order:
1. 1984: George Orwell
2. Catch 22: Joseph Heller
3. Don Quixote: Miguel de Cervantes
4. Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy: Douglas Adams
5. Secret Garden: Francis Hodgson Burnett
6. A Scanner Darkly: Phillip.K. Dick
7. Animal Farm: George Orwell
8. Exodus: Leon Uris
9. The Trial: Franz Kafka
10. Things fall apart: Chinua Achebe
11. Poisonwood bible: Barbara Kingsolver
12.Fear and loathing in Las Vegas: Hunter.S. Thompson
13. Secret History: Donna Tartt
14. Lord of the flies: William Golding
15. Invisible Man: Ralph Ellison
16. Lord of the Rings: J.R.R Tolkien
17. Fight Club: Chuck Pahlaniuk
18. Power of one: Bryce Courtenay
19. Crime and Punishment: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
20. Misery: Stephen King
21. Three stigmata of palmer Eldtritch: Philip. K. Dick
22. Sirens of titan: Kurt Vonnegut
23. Ubik: Philip. K. Dick
24. Travels of Jamie Mcpheeters: Robert Lewis Taylor
25. Gulliver's Travels: Jonathan Swift
26. The gods themselves: Isaac Asimov
27. The silence of the lambs: Thomas harris
28. Song of Solomon: Toni Morrison
29. Notes from the underground: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
30.Brave new world: Aldous Huxley
1. 1984: George Orwell
2. Catch 22: Joseph Heller
3. Don Quixote: Miguel de Cervantes
4. Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy: Douglas Adams
5. Secret Garden: Francis Hodgson Burnett
6. A Scanner Darkly: Phillip.K. Dick
7. Animal Farm: George Orwell
8. Exodus: Leon Uris
9. The Trial: Franz Kafka
10. Things fall apart: Chinua Achebe
11. Poisonwood bible: Barbara Kingsolver
12.Fear and loathing in Las Vegas: Hunter.S. Thompson
13. Secret History: Donna Tartt
14. Lord of the flies: William Golding
15. Invisible Man: Ralph Ellison
16. Lord of the Rings: J.R.R Tolkien
17. Fight Club: Chuck Pahlaniuk
18. Power of one: Bryce Courtenay
19. Crime and Punishment: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
20. Misery: Stephen King
21. Three stigmata of palmer Eldtritch: Philip. K. Dick
22. Sirens of titan: Kurt Vonnegut
23. Ubik: Philip. K. Dick
24. Travels of Jamie Mcpheeters: Robert Lewis Taylor
25. Gulliver's Travels: Jonathan Swift
26. The gods themselves: Isaac Asimov
27. The silence of the lambs: Thomas harris
28. Song of Solomon: Toni Morrison
29. Notes from the underground: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
30.Brave new world: Aldous Huxley
5 Comments:
I knew someone would bring up Hemmingway, but the truth is I haven't really read much of his work. There are many other notable omissions like Conrad, Faulkner, Dickens, Austen, Atwood etc. One must make tough choices..
you strike me as a sci-fi guy. No Arthur Clarke?
But u ommitted "The adventures of Tom Sawyer" I love that book.
I was going to comment about someone you left out...then i saw the comments above. lemme say this, u sure left out lots of good peeps. But your list is really tight. I'm with most of them choices.
Maybe you should make a list for african writers alone? how about that?
and in regard to Chinua, i always thought that "A Man of the People" is much better than "Things Fall Apart." I so still relate to it.
Post a Comment
<< Home